Greenpeace International Sabbatical Replacement: Associate Legal Counsel
Purpose of the job
To provide legal advice to Greenpeace International (GPI) on organisational issues and to advice on projects with a legal scope, taking into account legislation and governance rules, in order to protect GPI’s organisation and its assets and to further GPI’s objectives, in co-operation with the Legal Counsel and General Counsel.
1. Contracts and policies
Negotiate, draft and review major contracts to be used by all GPI units. Develop standards for contract management and contribute to the development and implementation of internal policies and practices, in co-operation with the Legal Counsel and General Counsel.
2. Governance and compliance
Provide advice and support on governance and registration issues to GPI and National/Regional Greenpeace Organisations (NROs). Maintain the organisational structure of GPI, in accordance with Dutch law, to support the operational work of GPI. Advise on compliance with national and international laws and applicable guidelines, policies and regulations.
3. Intellectual properties
Manage Greenpeace’s trademark and other intellectual properties according to defined policies and applicable laws in order to enable GPI and NROs to protect the Greenpeace trademark and other intellectual properties.
4. Training and information provision
Develop and provide trainings for GPI staff and for NROs on relevant legal topics. Develop and/or manage legal information systems, legal intranet website, library and mailing lists, in order to ensure centralized and accessible legal information.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree: master’s degree in law
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in law practice;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage projects;
- Understanding of contract, corporate/ non-profit and commercial law and/or Dutch employment law;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Closing date: 31st May 2018. Interviews may take place before this date for exceptional candidates.
Please email your cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
AgDevCo: Legal Counsel
We are looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced solicitor to join our legal team.
Established in 2009, AgDevCo is a social impact investor and project developer operating exclusively in the agriculture sector in Africa. Our mission is to build successful African agribusiness through longterm investment and support to deliver positive impact at scale. We invest debt and equity in African agribusinesses to create jobs, improve food security, and boost prosperity. We have made over 65 investments to date, and committed $135 million. Our investments offer a way of leveraging large amounts of private capital into socially-responsible farming and agri-processing businesses in Africa, with major benefits for smallholder farmers and local communities. We now have more than $170m of capital to invest in a portfolio of investments in Tanzania, Mozambique, Ghana, Zambia, Malawi, Uganda, Rwanda and Sierra Leone.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will work within a small legal team based in London, supporting and collaborating with investment and operations teams in London and across AgDevCo’s 8 offices in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Providing support and advice on AgDevCo’s debt, quasi-equity and equity investments in eight Sub-Saharan African jurisdictions including managing and coordinating advice from external counsel
- Supporting the legal team and the AgDevCo group in relation to a variety of legal, regulatory and compliance risks
- Advising on governance and policy matters
- Advising on a wide range of commercial issues
- Contributing to papers for executive/investment committees on the legal aspects of transactions
- Assisting UK and country offices with statutory filing requirements
- Qualified as a solicitor in the UK, with at least four years post-qualification experience
- Experience advising on corporate M&A/private equity transactions
- Strong team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to manage priorities and work to challenging deadlines
- Flexible and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Ability to explain legal issues and risks to investment teams, and recommend appropriate courses of action
- Passion for international development
- In-house experience
- Experience within an international organisation
- Legal experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience with debt investments
How to apply Please
Send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be suitable for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Legal Counsel”. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to all applications individually. If you do not hear from us within 10 working days, your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
All applicants should be eligible to live and work in the UK.